6 Local Search Engine Optimization Strategies for Small Businesses
If your small business has a website, the best thing to do is local search engine optimization. Local Search engine optimization is a way to get your site on the top of the search results. Most of the time when people look for something using a search engine, they just open the first few sites that feature on the first page. The top ranked sites have more visitors, which means that people will know about the content. This works really well with small businesses that are after local and even international customers. Link strategy is one of the best small business SEO strategies.
The goal of link building strategy is to create backlinks pointing to your businesses site. These links target commercial traffic or people who are interested in your products and services, which will convert to higher sales. The ability to measure links and their values was one reason that made the site Google, one of the market leaders in search engines. It all started with what Google called Page Rank. Page Rank uses mathematical models, which evaluate websites based on incoming links. Sites that had more authority, contextual and relevant links got higher rankings on the search results.
All small businesses are looking for ways to get their site on the highest rank. Linking is not the only way to get a good rank. Local Search Engine Optimization is done by using keyword targeting. Small Businesses would have articles on-line talking about their businesses along with keywords, which are commonly related to the business’s products and services. Updating the site is also a good local search engine optimization strategy for small businesses SEO. A business website should not be stagnant. There should be updates such as news and articles. Small business owners can also engage their loyal customers and prospective clients by regularly updating their website with promos, sales, discounts and other special offers.
Here are top 6 local search engine optimization tips for small businesses.
- Keyword list – Having a well-defined keyword list always comes handy. Most small businesses don’t pay much attention to keywords. It is crucial that both long and short tail keywords are being targeted equally. Google Keyword Planner can help you narrow down the list to the most relevant words that attract the highest traffic.
- Good content always stands out – Every online marketing expert would agree that good content always pays off in the long run. Write authoritative content that provides value to the reader. A good write-up that compels the visitor to spend time on a page is well worth the effort. Content that provides true value along with a catchy headline is sure to go viral quickly.
- Create meaningful URL names – URLs of pages should reflect exactly what the page is all about. Keep the URLs short and avoid errors like excessive hyphens. If possible, carefully insert relevant keywords in the URL. Well written names rank better in search engines.
- Page titles – Titles of a page are the most error prone element of search engine optimization. In this part, Google wants to see a well-compiled description of the content on a page. It is inserted in the <title> tag. Use important keywords and maintain the length within 70 characters.
- Avoid unethical methods – Search engines have become very smart. Any effort to trick them or fool them will only lead to setbacks. Unethical techniques such as paid links and coding tricks are known to wipe out rankings. It can even lead to removal from the index.
- Traffic tracking – Digital marketing is a constant process. In order to get the best results, monitoring traffic statistics is important. The time spent on a page, the source of traffic, most viewed pages etc. are some vital insights revealed from the traffic data.