IS LOUSY CONTENT A PART OF SEO (SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION)?
Search engine optimization is a process of ensuring that the relevance and the visibility of a site in major search engines improve. It may also be referred to as a mechanism for ensuring quality control of websites by search engine owners. Google is a major search engine in the world today, and most websites are in a race to get their site rank on the first few pages of Google. Google calculates the ranking based on relevance and authority that is measured by the flow of traffic to the site, either by putting up the right keywords on the site or by link referrals from other site.
It is but natural that sites which are authoritative in nature will generally not refer the link of a site which they do not perceive to be authoritative. It is important to understand at this juncture that relevance and authoritativeness are all measured and based on the content of a site. It is not just enough to conjure a bunch of words to fill up the site but putting up materials and contents that people in the field which the site seeks to reach find relevant and easily accessible.
Websites are continuously trying to improve their On Page & Off Page SEO ranking factors by constantly updating and reviewing the content of their page as knowledge increases in that field. Users and major stakeholders in that field or niche must be able to find relevant content on the site to mark the site useful. For instance, the content of a site directed at the automobile industry will not be found to be relevant to stakeholders of the banking industry.
Usually, when people find the content of a site relevant, the links to that site are shared on social media platforms including Facebook, twitter, Instagram, Google hangout etc. and major sites that have already gained good ranking with Google. It is quite obvious that great sites don’t link to poor quality content.
WHAT IS MEANT BY CONTENT
Content in simple terms refers to the ‘content of a site’, what it offers to the traffic visiting the site. Traffic, on the other hand, refers to the inflow of users on a website. The yardstick for measurement usually goes by the phrase; ‘the better the content, the higher the traffic’.
WHAT IS MEANT BY A LOUSY CONTENT AND HOW TO AVOID IT
Most site owners mistake quality for quantity. Having a site full of irrelevant and stuff that are not useful may just be regarded as a site with a lousy content. Most times, websites earn points by having keywords that are usually used in the field which they seek to cover, thus making it easy for its users to locate the site and thereby increasing traffic. Apart from avoiding a bunch of lousy content on your website, making the site user-friendly is an important key in the search engine optimization evaluation of the website. There’s no use having good content all packed up on a site that cannot be accessed or understood by its users due to several technicalities and lack of arrangement on the site unless the site is designed well to make it user-friendly. In avoiding a bad content site, the following points should be taken into consideration;
- Use keywords in the content that are often used in discussing the subject matter which the site focuses on.
- Make the site user-friendly
- The content of a site should be kept simple, direct and relevant, as people may not be too patient to read through the entire garbage to sieve out what they actually want
- Get the advice and assistance of professional SEO consultant when constructing your site and putting in your content
- Link up with great sites that have high search engine optimization ranking
According to Rand Fishkin from Moz, here’s a short list of what a good content should offer the audience, and we would be giving a brief explanation of them:
- Serves visitors’ intent by answering their questions and helping them complete their goals: Most people visit sites for a reason, surely it is the quest for information and more date that drives individuals to their search engine to type in keywords, so sites must be able to provide accurate, updated and relevant information to them
- Delivers an easy, pleasurable, accessible experience on every device and browser: Some sites are not browser friendly, every site should be able to meet the need of all the visitors coming to that site. This also emphasizes the need for a user-friendly design that allows proper navigation and referral for visitors.
- Gets the right information and experience to visitors FAST
- Does all of the above better than any of the competitors in the space: competition is nevertheless always constant in the business of providing information to the general public, so it is very important for content to carry the best and most sought after information.
THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GOOGLE, CONTENT AND SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
Google, as we know, is one of the largest search engines in the world with a keen eye on online traffic. It is no doubt therefore that what they perceive to be high traffic, owing to the quality of the content is most times acceptable. The end goal of Google online is to connect its users with the relevant websites, with the most accurate and most authoritative content based on the keywords the user provides. Also, this is sought to be achieved within the fewest clicks possible.
The problem is most website owners and marketers usually do not appreciate the need for local search engine optimization strategy, and so they lose out on the numerous benefits, when in fact, it can be used to grow their business generally and also bring in some extra income, because it has been discovered that people are more likely to advertise on a site with high traffic and a high search engine optimization ranking.